Many skills are required to start a successful farm: passion, clear goals, production experience, financial and marketing know-how, and more.
The Farm Beginnings class is a 12-month training session that helps beginning farmers clarify their goals and strengths, establish a strong enterprise plan and start building their operation. The course uses a mix of farmer-led classroom sessions, on-farm tours, and an extensive farmer network.
In this class, participants will:
- Establish quality of life goals and clarify their values.
- Learn about whole farm planning, marketing and financing.
- Write a farm business proposal.
- Learn from some of the most innovative and skilled farmers operating in the Midwest.
- Learn alongside a classroom of your peers.
- Access an extensive network of farmers through the Farmer Network.
- See sustainable farming practices in action on active farms.